Wednesday, August 30, 2006

MOVING TO SOUTH CAROLINA

The first few months of marriage were good. Somewhere along the line, something happened and Steve changed. I don't know what it was exactly, I know about when it happened and I do remember a particular incident that happened, and shortly after that things were just different. It's hard to explain.

My teaching job was a federal/state funded position, so some funds were cut and my position was cut. Steve had graduated from his program before we were married and was working in juvenile corrections at a local group home for boys. He enjoyed this job, but wanted something in electronics. I applied for some teaching positions in and around Ashland and Huntington, which are basically across the river from one another, but teaching positions are difficult in that area, because Marshall has the reputation of being one of the best teacher education schools in the country. I found some jobs at the Marshall job placement office and one was in Hilton Head, SC. I told Steve that I would apply just for a lark. I never expected that they would call me but they did and I interviewed at the end of the next week at Hilton Head High School. While I did not get that position, I did get a position teaching pre-kindergarten in the Beaufort County Public Schools and we relocated to SC in September of 1985.

It was a quick move as it was already the middle of August when I applied and interviewed in South Carolina for the job. School was to start in a week to 10 days and we had a whole household to pack. Plus I hadn't even talked it over with Steve. But he agreed and was ready for a change of scenery.

I didn't realize it until sometime later when I was praying that moving to the South Carolina Coast was really an answer to prayer. I had prayed one time as a teen that I might be able to live someday close to the ocean. My dad had taken us (my mom, sister and me) to Myrtle Beach a few times on vacation. I really loved the beach and especially walking on the beach and sitting in the sand and watching the sun go down, in the evening. I loved the beach at night listening to waves wash in and out rhythmically. It was very soothing. I loved getting up early at the beach and going to see the sun come up. I just loved the beach. I feel God's Sovereign majesty sitting by the ocean. The ocean, like our Great Lord and God, is so beauftiful, but must be respected because of its mighty power.

We moved the next weekend which was Labor Day weekend to South Carolina and camped at Hunting Island, until we found a house to rent. I had to get up and go to work from the beach for two or three mornings. That was quite an experience, but certainly better than staying in the old roach infested Buccanneer motel that we stayed in the first night.

More later.

No comments: